The Swarm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Swarm

A Forum for the Haley & Kyle Hate Each Other Hitbox.tv Channel

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Let's Have a Wee Chat About Civ 5

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Narzack
Admin
Narzack

Let's Have a Wee Chat About Civ 5 Empty
PostSubject: Let's Have a Wee Chat About Civ 5   Let's Have a Wee Chat About Civ 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 7:52 pm

I think it's safe to say that a few of us are mildly obsessed with the game. It's my first entry into the series, so I cant compare it to previous games, but I find it easy to get into, easy to play, difficult to master. For me, difficult to even excel, really.

Right now, I'm sort of stuck in a Cold War with Russia, and I think she's just ahead of me. I just unlocked Uranium, but I don't seem to see any of it on the map. Is it a resource that you have to mine like all the rest?
Back to top Go down
RittTheRoo

PostSubject: Re: Let's Have a Wee Chat About Civ 5   Let's Have a Wee Chat About Civ 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 11:26 pm

I still prefer Civ 4 to Civ 5. I understand that not allowing units to stack makes it more tactical, however, There is just something awesome about stacking units allowing you to steamroll over opponents if you have the troops.
Back to top Go down
Narzack
Admin
Narzack

PostSubject: Re: Let's Have a Wee Chat About Civ 5   Let's Have a Wee Chat About Civ 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 3:08 pm

I actually have a copy of Civ IV, but I got too into V to give it a shot. Is the multiplayer in IV good, because V has some buggy, crappy multiplayer.

As I said, I'm in a Cold War with Russia, and I'm not sure how to proceed. I really don't think I could beat her in a war, she seems ot have nearly 65% of the map. Is it better to just get the war over with, or should I rely on my spies and try a technological victory? Most of the city states are still around, and Babylon has one city left.
Back to top Go down
Mastervolo

Mastervolo

PostSubject: Re: Let's Have a Wee Chat About Civ 5   Let's Have a Wee Chat About Civ 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 3:15 pm

Uranium is something you have to mine. And this is my first entry to the series, and it is incredibly addicting. I try to not play it every day cus i know when i start i wont stop : P

Kinda reminds me of the total war series without the strategy map thing.
Back to top Go down
Narzack
Admin
Narzack

PostSubject: Re: Let's Have a Wee Chat About Civ 5   Let's Have a Wee Chat About Civ 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 4:58 pm

Well, shiiiiiiii. I might be boned then, since I'm wasting a lot of time and turns on research that will avail me nothing. Looks like a costly land war in Asia is my only recourse.

It is insidious, though, isn't it? Bloody game will snag you, and you'll be like, just one more turn.

Oh, in two more turns I'll unlock a new tech.

This next tech is only four turns long, I'll just do that.

Deniyed and I were talking about it, curse those brilliant game designers.
Back to top Go down
Mastervolo

Mastervolo

PostSubject: Re: Let's Have a Wee Chat About Civ 5   Let's Have a Wee Chat About Civ 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 9:05 pm

Its diabolical
Back to top Go down
xDeniedx

xDeniedx

PostSubject: Re: Let's Have a Wee Chat About Civ 5   Let's Have a Wee Chat About Civ 5 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 11:23 am

This game man, this fucking game.

I'm currently on an arctic island by myself, I'm the byzantine empire which helps, and i've amassed a strong naval force. I'm playing a round on domination only so while I've been teching up, they've been fighting each other on the mainland. I'm about to begin my blitzkrieg of Frigates, Artillery and Infantry to begin pushing Persia off my borders and then deal with Spain who's become aggressive due to my alliance with Russia currently and hopefully conquer a continent for myself and reposition defenses while getting some bombers in the army before continuing my assault.

I've never played a Civ game before but strategy and resource management are prevalent in a bunch of game types i've played before (blizzard games for example) albeit in real time, so this is my first foray into the turn based version which I like more since you have time to really plan out your moves. Unfortunately for me that leads to my "Just one more turn" scenarios.

Enjoying the fucking hell out of it and still think we need to do a drunken multiplayer night :p
Back to top Go down
Narzack
Admin
Narzack

PostSubject: Re: Let's Have a Wee Chat About Civ 5   Let's Have a Wee Chat About Civ 5 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2013 3:41 pm

I wrote an entry about one of my first Civ games.

First off, I’m a total Civ noob.  Don’t really understand a lot of the intricacies and mechanics, don’t have a firm grasp on the different elements of play.  I have something like 14 hours in it, a good chunk of that from the cast, spouting nonsense about pincer movements and the like.

I first tried to load up a game I’d started when I first bought the game, and quickly found myself overwhelmed and with no real idea of the strategy I’d planned. So, I decided to start up a new game.  Small map.  Pangea.  Four players.  I’d play as America, the closest thing I could figure to Canadia.  The players turned out to be me, France, Songhai, and the Huns.

I started out building my cities and sending a settler or two out.  Before long, I came across France.  We seemed to be okay with each other.  Sometime soon after that, I settled a city within site of his.  A few turns later he tells me not to settle near him.  I agree to his terms.  I return to my civ building, creating military units, workers, a few works, and the like.  I have a few sorties with the barbarian tribes, earning respect and gratitude from the city-states scattered across the map.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, France denounces me.  What the heck? I think.  I haven’t gone anywhere near them.  I take a bit of a stiff-necked approach to the response.  I tell them they’ll regret it.  At this point, my main city, Washington is on the northern coast, France is to the southeast, just east of my outlier city, tiny Philadelphia.  A few turns later, and France declares war on me.

They send an army to march on Philadelphia, which is barely defended.  I scramble the few units I have south to meet their attack.  The city itself bunkers down for war.  Many turns pass as the French aggressors break themselves on the walls of Philadelphia, my citizens fighting with a ferocity that surprises even me.  Undermanned and alone, Philadelphia is besieged for a number of turns.  Both my other cities are struggling to train up soldiers, but it doesn’t seem like they’ll be able to send them south in time.

Suddenly, France pulls back, allowing my defenders to fortify until healed.  They launch another offensive, once more meeting the staunch defenders under my banner.  Shockingly, France sues for peace.  Their terms are tremendously generous, and I, relieved that my tiny city survived and bested the impressive French army, agree to their request.

But I do not forget.

Years pass as I continue my advance.  I build more cities, train troops, and expand my borders.  Before long, our borders are touching.  France tells me not to settle near them.  Remembering what happened last time, I resist their demands and begin assembling my troops on the border. I want to draw them into a war.  This does not go unnoticed and France publicly denounces me. I ally myself with the city-states nearby and buy more land near France.

As expected France declares war, as I’d hoped.  The war that follows is lengthy and savage.  I tear apart their outlying cities and slowly and with some losses, advance to the coast, besieging their last two cities.  While at war with France, Songhai wants me to declare war on the Huns, who had previously attacked a city-state I’d allied with.  I had sent them some troops and beat back the aggressors.  However, I tell Songhai that I will in time.  I don’t want to fight a two front war.  Eventually, after heavy fighting, France is defeated.

I declare war on the Huns, like I promised Songhai.  I have a few troops far to the east, far from my own empire, near another city-state.  The Huns settle near them and try to build a new city.  I immediately attack it with archers and scouts.  The Huns quickly buckle and sue for peace, offering me considerable wealth and the contested city.  I accept and begin to manage this city in the far east.  I notice that their capital is just across the border.  When our treaty is over, I declare war and swiftly subdue their defenses and easily capture their capital.  The Huns are no more.

With only Songhai and me left, I am content to seek a cultural victory.  However, before too much time has passed, one of my cities is suddenly converted to Songhai’s religion.  Shocked, I discover that he had a prophet in my land.   I send my own holy man to the city to convert them back.  Then, after the holy man leaves to spread religion to one of my cities, Boston is converted again.  I return and reestablish my religion.  After that, it’s New York which is converted to Songhai’s.  I attempt to tell Songhai not to send his prophets into my cities.  Shockingly, my request is refused.  Enraged, I denounce Songhai and am denounced in turn.  War is again on the horizon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's Have a Wee Chat About Civ 5   Let's Have a Wee Chat About Civ 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Let's Have a Wee Chat About Civ 5
Page 1 of 1